On Wednesday, June 21, the Utah State Legislature is convening its interim committees for another round of hearings. Below are some of the issues those committees are discussing of county interest.
8:30 AM Meetings
- The Government Operations Interim Committee (State Capitol – Room 450) is discussing (as usual) a number of election law issues. This time their debates center on candidate replacement for nonpartisan races, election challenges, and poll watchers. The committee is also considering a proposal to clarify a public entity’s use of public resources to engage in political activities.
- The Health and Human Services Interim Committee (House Building – Room 30) is considering mental health treatment as well as family planning available through Utah’s Medicaid program.
- The Political Subdivisions Interim Committee (House Building – Room 20) is debating the merits of legislation that would put in place a process for removing a locally elected official in the event that the official no longer has the mental competency to fulfill the office. It is also discussing animal shelters, local government disposition of property, and local government enforcement mechanisms.
1:15 PM Meetings
- The Judiciary Interim Committee (House Building – Room 20) is receiving an update on JRI and a description of Utah’s drug courts.
- The Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice Interim Committee (House Building – Room 25) is hearing from the Utah Sentencing Commission on their Master Offence List. The committee is also discussing injury and PTSD among law enforcement officers.
- The Natural Resources, Agriculture, and Environment Interim Committee (House Building – Room 30) is receiving an update on wild horse and burros.