The legislature kicks off their first series of interim meetings next week. Below is a schedule of issues on the agenda of county interest.
Tuesday, May 16
- The Transportation Governance and Funding Task Force begins its work on assessing Utah’s transportation system moving forward. The task force is meeting in room 210 of the Senate Building at 1:00 PM.
Wednesday, May 17
- The Government Operations Interim Committee is discussing the progress the voting equipment selection committee is making as well as ranked-choice voting in room 450 of the State Capitol at 8:30 AM.
- The Health and Human Services Interim Committee is considering health care reform, mental health, and the opioid epidemic in its first meeting of the interim in room 30 of the House Building also at 8:30 AM.
- The Political Subdivisions Interim Committee is hearing testimony from UAC’s Lincoln Shurtz on both county long-term planning as well as local government enforcement mechanisms in room 20 of the House Building at 8:30 AM.
- The Judiciary Interim Committee is debating indigent defense at 1:15 PM in room 20 of the House Building.
- Finally, county officials might be interested in hearing the thoughts of the Speaker of the House and the President of the Senate regarding their vision and goals for tax reform. They are speaking to the Revenue and Taxation Interim Committee at 1:15 PM in room 445 of the State Capitol.