SB 136 Transportation Governance Amendments: Substitute 6 has passed. The 6th substitute passed out of the conference committee unanimously. It passed out of the House with a vote of 40-32-3. It passed out of the Senate with a vote of 17-10-2. Now the bill goes to the Governor for signature.
Here are key changes made by the conference committee:
1) Beginning July 1, 2019, allows counties with (or planning to have) transit service to impose a new 0.20% local option sales tax specifically for transit capital projects or service. The option to impose this 0.20% expires June 30, 2023.
2) The revenues generated from the alternative fuel vehicle registration fee increases will be used to fund electric vehicle infrastructure.
3) Transfers approximately $5M per year — which will grow over time — into the new state Transit TIF account for statewide transit capital projects.
4) Creates a new Transportation and Tax Review Task Force, with appointees from the House, Senate and Governor. The Task Force will review transportation taxes and governance structures, and also broader tax issues for the state.
5) Establishes a new process for the Salt Lake County of the First Class Highway Projects Fund, where a committee will review and recommend prioritization of projects to the County.