It was a noteworthy day to see all of the county elected officials at the Capitol for our UAC County Day on the Hill. We appreciate your attendance and support on our big day and by all accounts it was record-breaking (most we’ve ever had)!! We were honored to hear from Governor Gary Herbert and Speaker Greg Hughes who shared some important thoughts and fielded questions.
We also enjoyed the economic outlook presentation from Natalie Gochnour of the Kem C Gardner Policy Institute. Her thoughts included counties that have been going through a “silent recession,” counties impacted by the opioid epidemic, and how we can use those and other factors as a lens to understand county needs.
Looking Ahead to Friday, February 9
- PRIORITY: Executive Offices and Criminal Justice Appropriations Subcommittee at 7:30 a.m. in Room 25, House Building, will hear UAC’s fiscal request for State Election System funding from Senator Pete Knudson.
- Also in Executive Offices and Criminal Justice Appropriations Subcommittee, sheriffs will present on Jail funding (contracting, programming, COP jail assessments). Representative Noel will present his request for additional programming funds and a programming rate increase at the hearing.
- Senate Government Operations and Political Subdivisions Standing Committee at 3:00 p.m. in Room 415, Capitol, will hear bills regarding county recorder amendments, trust lands, candidate filing, and communications of governmental entity employees and officers.
- House Judiciary Standing Committee at 3:40 p.m. in Room 20, House Building, will address bad-faith demand letters, criminal procedure amendments, and unreasonable search and seizures.
- House Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice Standing Committee at 3:40 p.m. in Room 450, Capitol, will hear Representative McCay’s bill on body cameras.
- House Natural Resources, Agriculture, and Environment Standing Committee at 3:40 p.m. in Room 445, Capitol, will hear several county-related bills including mineral lease distribution, water law amendments, water rights adjudication, and street-legal ATVs.
- House Transportation Committee at 3:40 p.m. in Room 30, House Building, will hear Senator Harper’s bill on Motor Vehicle Registration.
We are almost to the weekend! Until tomorrow…